Being an event planner I am asked daily for restaurant recommendations, vacation destinations, what to do on said vacation, baby shower tips, bachelorette party itineraries and so on.
I am a firm believer in that the destination or the itinerary really doesn’t matter all that much as long as you are with the right people and you are in a present state of mind or practicing mindfulness. I know, the buzzword you can’t stop hearing about. It is such an important skill to have. If you aren’t being mindful, you probably aren’t fully enjoying what you are doing.
Mindfulness is the basic human ability to be fully present, aware of where we are and what we’re doing, and not overly reactive or overwhelmed by what’s going on around us.
Your mind is fully attune to what is going on. That might seem like an obvious description although we so often veer from the moment or topic at hand. Our mind takes flight and pretty soon we’re obsessing about what just happened or what is about to happen.
You will find so much more joy in your life, your job and experiences if you learn some of the skills to practicing mindfulness. You don’t have to do it everyday but the more you do it the better.
- Take 5 minutes out of your day to meditate and you will feel much more mentally alert.
- Practice listening to people and not thinking about what you are going to say or judging what they are saying. Notice them, their eye color, their emotion and the sound of their voice.
Namaste every day
- Yoga is all about practicing mindfulness and “staying on your mat.” It is about being present in how every movement makes you feel.
- There are so many apps that celebrate mindfulness. Smiling mind is a free one and there are many others.
Celebrate the moment
- At work take time each day to celebrate your successes and not think about what you have to do next.
Be comfortable in discomfort
- Everyone has cravings whether it is chocolate, a drink, cigarettes, etc. Instead of just immediately satisfying that every time, be aware of that craving and sit with that moment of discomfort.
- Walking is such a mundane task since we do it every day. Next time you go on a walk take in the sights and feelings and be completely present.
Spend your money to buy time
- I have heard so many people say they couldn’t even enjoy their wedding because of all the stress and small details. Hire an event planner and be in the moment at your wedding. Hiring someone to paint or clean your house or do something you are capable of shouldn’t make you feel guilty. That time you get back can be spent on other things.
Change your mindset about Monday
- Avoid the Sunday scaries by making fun and exciting plans every Sunday so your not thinking about work the whole day. Do something you enjoy on Monday like your favorite workout class or go to the lunch spot you love so you are looking forward to it.
Put down your phone, stop daydreaming, pay attention without judgment and be completely present with all of your senses. You will see more and experience more joy in every moment.